Many household in the UK and US celebrate Halloween by carving a pumpkin. In the UK they estimated in 2015 that over 18,000 tons of pumpkin pulp is wasted during the annual carving.
Don’t waste it – eat it!
Here are some tasty ideas from Love Food Hate Waste:
- Gnocchi in Pumpkin and Chilli Sauce -great way to get in the spirit but without buying a whole pumpkin – just use a tin of pumpkin puree.
- Pumpkin & Butter Bean Broth – This hearty, healthy broth is a great way to use up pumpkin and other veg such as carrots.
- Pumpkin mash – For a quick and easy seasonal accompaniment to your favourite autumnal stews and braising dishes, try this mashed pumpkin recipe as a colourful side instead of the usual mashed potato.
- Pumpkin ravioli – Swap any winter squash for the pumpkin
- Pumpkin tart – rescue a pumpkin – turn it into this autumnal treat. A sweet treat made form the inside of your spooky pumpkin!
- Roast pumpkin lasagne – this comforting meal is surprisingly simple, and very seasonal
- Roast pumpkin seeds – these lovely little seeds should never be discarded – this is the perfect recipe as they make a great nibble.
- Roast pumpkin and coriander soup – a refreshing and healthy way to use up that Halloween pumpkin
- Curried roast veg – Roasting vegetables is easy. This recipe brings out the sweetness of root vegetables and adds warming spices that are perfect for chilly days.
- Glutney – a chutney for using up whatever there’s plenty of, including marrow and pumpkin
What is your favourite pumpkin recipe?