Regular use of sit-stand desks can be beneficial to maintaining weight levels when combined with other low-intensity activities says ScienceDaily who reviewed a newly released study by University of Pittsburgh.
They say that alternating positions between standing and sitting while performing desk work could make the difference in whether the thin red needle in your bathroom scale tilts to the left or the right of your goal weight.
7 Benefits of a Standing Desk
1. Standing Lowers Your Risk of Weight Gain and Obesity
Standing for an afternoon has been shown to burn 170 more calories than an equal amount of sitting. Over time, this difference can have a major effect on your weight.
2. Using a Standing Desk May Lower Blood Sugar Levels
Studies show that using a standing desk at work can lower blood sugar levels, especially after lunch.
3. Standing May Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease
It is widely accepted that the more time you spend sitting, the greater your risk of developing heart disease.
4. Standing Desks Appear to Reduce Back Pain
Several studies show that standing desks can dramatically decrease chronic back pain caused by prolonged sitting.
5. Standing Desks Help Improve Mood and Energy Levels
One study found that standing desks can lower feelings of stress and fatigue, while improving mood and energy levels.
6. Standing Desks May Even Boost Productivity
Studies show that standing desks do not have negative effects on daily work tasks, such as typing. On the contrary, they may even boost productivity slightly in the long-run.
7. Standing More May Help You Live Longer
Research suggests that reduced sitting time may lower your risk of dying early and therefore help you live longer.
So why not give standing desk it ago and see how you feel?
- How Sitting All Day Is Damaging Your Body and How You Can Counteract It
- Standing Desk
- Standing Up for Weight Management