This cordial contains sour cherries, which provide melatonin – the sleep hormone. Try and consume a few hours before bedtime for a great night’s sleep!
- 500g sour cherries
- 4 tbsp honey/ agave nectar
- 250ml still water
- Slice the cherries and remove all pits
- Place cherries in a bowl stove and drizzle the honey/syrup over the top
- After 60 minutes add the water, then stir the mixture well
- Pour the mixture into a pot and heat on the stove
- Bring mixture to a boil, then immediately drop the heat a few notches so the mixture can simmer
- After 15 minutes, switch off the heat and let the mixture cool too room temperature (approx. 30 mins)
- Strain as much juice from the cherries as possible then pour liquid into another pan on the stove
- Discard the cherry skins
- Simmer the juice over low heat until it becomes a thick syrup
- Immediately remove from heat it cool down to room temperature
- Pour the reduction into a container and refrigerate overnight
Place 4 to 5 teaspoons of syrup in a tumbler, then fill with sparkling water. Stir and serve.