Ever thought about reducing your meat intake? Here are 18 ways to eat less meat with some tasty ideas to try out.
- Make a little bit of bacon go a long way by cooking it, leaving the fat in the pan, and using it to cook the other ingredients.
- Add rice and beans to ground beef to stretch it further.
- Instead of chicken salad — which often just tastes like mayo — try a vegetarian sandwich filling with lots more flavour.
- Eat eggs for dinner.
- If you’re making a meatless dish, use vegetables with lots of different textures.
- Add chopped mushrooms to meat-based pasta sauces.
- Swap the bacon or sausage on your breakfast sandwich for an equally umami-packed savory jam.
- Make a grain-based dish with a little bit of meat, instead of vice versa.
- Next time you make your favourite stir-fry, use twice as many vegetables and half as much meat.
- Get excited about vegetarian entrées by trying new grains, like farro.
- Freekeh is another grain worth trying. It’s high in protein and has a unique texture like nothing you’ve had before.
- If you’re worried that less meat will mean not getting enough protein, get up to speed on vegetarian protein sources.
- Add vegetable purée to homemade chicken nuggets and you’ll need way less meat.
- Use portobello mushrooms instead of meat in tacos or sandwiches a couple times a week.
- You might even try making a portobello burger.
- Eggplant is another vegetable that makes a great meat substitute.
- When you make soup or stew, swap just half the meat for beans or lentils.
- Instead of grilling up a steak, grill steak kabobs with lots of vegetables.
Full details and recipes from Buzzfeed Life.